July 10, 2008

4 out of 5 kids prefer motrin . . . maybe?

My day has consisted of a lot of rocking and back rubbing and singing and book reading.

We thought we were in the clear this morning. At about 10 AM, Jack's temperature was back to normal. So, I brought him to camp and planned to work during the afternoon. Just after lunch it was up to 99. Not too bad . . . so I told Kristi to keep an eye on him while he napped. Around 3 she called Kyle to say Jack was really warm again. I went up there with the thermometer and tylenol. It was back up to 103. And our pediatrician's office had just closed. Ugh.

Of course, the fever is accompanied by little grunts and moans that make me feel totally helpless as a parent. I think the hardest part is not being able to communicate to him that it's temporary. I want him to know that he'll feel better soon and that this will pass . . . but for him, this is all he knows. I guess all I can do is hold him and comfort him.

Have I mentioned that he had another tooth pop through last night? Well, he did. So he's drooling everywhere, too.

Jack and I have read pretty much every book on his shelves. It's kind of nice because he rarely sits all the way through one book anymore. It was nice to have cuddle time . . . though I felt like i had a heated blanket on the whole time.

When Kyle called to see if I wanted him to bring me something home from camp to eat, I realized that I hadn't eaten anything since lunch and that I had zero appetite. It also hit me that I was feeling a little warm and had a pounding headache. I just took some tylenol and now I'm hoping for the best. We can only have one sick person at a time in this house.

The tylenol we had been giving Jack seemed to be useless, so at 10 PM we gave him motrin. Within an hour, his temperature was under 100 and he was showing signs of personality again. I was in the kitchen and heard Jack laughing in our bedroom and walked in to find him doing anything he could to make Kyle laugh. I guess he prefers ibprofen like his Grandma Luke does.

We'll be taking him to the doctor's office tomorrow morning. Then, depending on how he's feeling, maybe we'll follow that up with some dryer shopping. Yeah, ours died for good yesterday. More on that later . . .

1 comment:

Heather S. said...

So sorry Jack is sick! Hopefully, he will feel better soon!!