June 14, 2008

Well rested

I went to bed at eleven last night. I didn't get out of bed until almost nine. I don't know what prompted Jack to sleep so well, but I am so thankful for it. Our first overnight camp starts tomorrow and I was hoping to go into it well rested!

Maybe it was his vaccinations yesterday. His one year check-up went well. He's almost 27 pounds and just shy of 33 inches long. That's pretty heavy, but he was 20 lbs at 4 months old so he's only gained 7 pounds in the last 8 1/2 months. I don't think he'll be a small kid, but at least he won't be a giant. I bought a lot of 24 month summer clothes for him this summer, assuming that he'd continue to grow at the rate that he had been, but his 18 month and 18 - 24 month clothes are still hanging in there. I haven't had to retire any of his clothing in weeks! I hope that Old Navy can stay afloat without our weekly trips to replace his wardrobe.

I got an e-mail from baby center last week that said, "By this time, your child is eating with a spoon like a pro." I'm sorry . . . what? If by "using a spoon like a pro" they actually mean "mashes up his food with it, bangs it against the table and then uses his fingers to actually put it in his mouth," then yes, he uses it like a pro. The doctor said that it was normal for kids his age to still be working at using a spoon. Which made me feel better.

We didn't do a whole lot today. After lunch, Jack and I went into town to buy program supplies for the upcoming week while Kyle mowed the lawn. We ate dinner at camp and then took Jack on his first pontoon boat ride, thus allowing me to practice with my new camera. I'm still learning and I've got a long way to go. Hmmm . . . trial and error, I suppose.

After dinner (side note: I love it that I don't ever have to cook during the summer. Honestly, it's like I get to eat out every night - for free.), we took Jack on his first pontoon boat ride. Uncle Jeff (my brother, who is lifeguarding at camp this summer before he heads to college) even let Jack drive for a little bit. No, he was not wearing a life jacket, but we held him almost the entire time. And there was a life jacket in his size on the boat in case we needed it. So stop worrying.

No comments: