December 2, 2008

Dear Jack, Month (gasp!) 18

Dear Jack,

If there's any month that I have an excuse to be late for your letter, it's this month. I'm drowning in a sea of Christmas cards and Christmas photos and I've overdosed on everyone else's Christmas cheer. Who knew when I was designing your birth announcement that designing cards and announcements for other people would be the way that we'd start to climb out of the financial hole that resulted from getting and being pregnant with you? Please don't misunderstand me . . . the money we paid to have you does not even remotely compare to how much your dad and I value you. If I had to pay one thousand times what we paid to have you, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

You're not exactly my baby anymore. You're so grown up. You say things like "tadaaa" after you turn the Christmas tree lights on or find a missing toy. You understand me when I ask you to pick up your toys or let Murphy out of her cage. You're so good at following instructions. Last week, I was trying to get you to say all kinds of words for your grandparents and they were laughing because it was like I had all of these "tricks" that I wanted you to do for them. Grandma jokingly said, "Ok, Jack, now roll over." And you laid down on the ground and rolled all the way to the couch. Nothing gets past you.

Jack, you're growing so fast and when facing the thought that you might be my only baby, I feel a little robbed by how quickly you're changing because I so badly want to slow you down. But I can't slow you down (trust me, I've tried). I'm just trying to soak up as much as I can. You love to hug and if I squat down at your level at any given moment, 90% of the time you'll run to me and hug me so tight. The other 10% you'll run in the opposite direction giggling and wanting me to chase you.

Even though I have a great excuse, I'm not late with your letter this month. I just checked and ironically enough, I started this letter exactly 18 months, to the minute, from the time you were born. I'm right on time . . . but it's short and random and I have no photos to include. I try to do it all, but I can't. Well, I can, but it won't all get done well.

YOU are so important to me, Jack. More important that photos of you and letters to you or Christmas cards. I love YOU. And I hear you upstairs calling me, so I think I'm going to go snag a hug right now.

love,
mommy

4 comments:

Kristine said...

You put in words exactly how I feel about my baby, who just turned one year. Please stop growing up so fast!

JOhn said...

It does go quickly, but don't let that often used phrase scare you.

Cherish. I have one who turns 18 tomorrow. Wow!

John

lilialately said...

Couldn't agree more about the baby race to grow up.

I found your lovely blog through your etsy shop on my hunt for a photo greeting card, but after reading a few entries I'm not sure I should add anything to your load!

Jeanette said...

It's probably the hormones...but am totally crying right now. Such a sweet boy (& family).

In the words of a fiery red-head:
"did you ever know that you're my he-ro?"