April 4, 2007

Crib shopping

I'm watching the news and they're talking about the wind chill this morning. It was 51 when I woke up and it's 40 now. April's not supposed to be this cold.

Kyle and I are on unofficially spring break. Basically, we're off this week, but we're just working at home and trying to get ready for the baby. It's nice though because if I think of something at camp that I need to do, I can just go do it instead of trying not to forget it all week. Kyle got the nursery painted and the closet organizer set up this past weekend. MOnday, he cleaned up the yard, took down Christmas lights and cleaned all of the gutters. We also added some things to our registries becasue we keep hearing from people that there's not much left, but it looks like there's a lot left to us. I wonder if a lot of it is no longer available in stores. My throat closes up a little when I think about how much there still is that we should go out and get, but I just remember that my friend Annie told me all he needs when he's born is a place to sleep and a source of food . . . both of which we can provide.

My job was shampooing the carpet in the nursery. I ended up having to shampoo all the way down the hallway and into our bedroom too because . . . my feet have been so numb lately I can't feel anything. So when I was trying to figure out what Murphy got into that left bright red spots all the way down our hallway into our bedroom, I failed to realize that I cut my foot and was tracking blood all over the house because I couldn't feel it. That cannot be healthy. Luckily, it all came out of the carpet.

We crib shopped all day yesterday. It wasn't fun. We find a style we like, but it's not the finish that we're looking for. Our we find a great dark wood finish, but it's an ugly style or it's WAY out of our price range. I'm really close to buying one of the cheap cribs from IKEA. I just don't want it to look cheap, which it does. I guess I need to get over that.

We had our hospital tour tonight and it scared me a little. Being in a delivery room made it all very real. Thinking about actually going into labor and delivering is something I've tried to think very little about (other than trying to convince the baby to make his way into the world on May 11 or 12). Just talking about epidurals and how much they cost made me dizzy. People keep asking me if I want drugs or to have a natural delivery. I'm not sure I can afford to have anything more than a natural delivery. I shouldn't complain . . . at least I have insurance. Then again, if I didn't, the state would probably cover all of my labor and delivery costs. Where's the justice? I know I shouldn't worry. I don't need to be rich and I don't need to retire rich. I just need to have a healthy baby . . . but like I said back in October: I still hope he comes out holding a bag of cash.

We have another dr. appointment today. I think I go every other week or maybe every week starting now. While the first 30 weeks seem like they took forever, the last three weeks have FLOWN by. I think this baby might come before I'm ready for him. I'm gonna start looking at cribs online.

No comments: