July 5, 2009

Reunion Tour 2009, Part 1

Our drive to Greenville was as close to heavenly as it can get when you're tired and traveling with a 2-year-old. After some unexpected setbacks, we left later than we had anticipated and Jack slept the first two hours. When he woke up, he ate and was pretty much content listening to his "Bible songs" and watching videos the rest of the way.

Kyle and I were struggling to stay awake, but agreed that the trip only seemed like it took 2 - 3 hours (instead of more than twice that).

Anyway, we made it in at about 10:30 CST, so it was pushing midnight before Jack was in bed. When we got there, I changed him and he was jabbering to Sarah and asking her questions. Suddenly, he got quiet, looked out the window and then looked back at me. His lip popped out and he just started bawling. I held him for a few seconds and was asking him what was wrong. I was completely puzzled. He pulled away, looked at me and said through his tears, "I'm sleeeeeepy!"

So, we got Jack to bed (he looks huge in his pack and play . . . HUGE) and Sarah and I stayed up for a while talking. When I went to bed, I looked at my phone and it said 3:26 (EST). WHAT?! We stayed up way too late, but it was good to catch up.

We slept in on Saturday morning (until 8 or so) and I got up before Kyle and Jack to shower, bake scones and put fruit on skewers for the shower. Kyle and Jack dropped me off at the shower and picked up AJ (Nicole, my college roommate's, son) and they played together while we, um, showered? Threw Sarah's baby shower? Had our party? However you'd say it.

We did my usual onesie applique activity at the shower and it was fun. Mainly, it was just good to catch up with these girls. There were only 6 of us, and it was nice just to chat and be with them. And of course, I keep forgetting to download a group picture from Sarah.

Meanwhile, AJ and Jack were wrestling, playing in the sprinkler and squirting each other with water guns. At dinner on Saturday night, Jack prayed and said, "Dear Jesus . . . thank you for day . . . . thank you for AJ . . . amen." I think he had fun. I'll post some video of them later.

We spent the rest of Saturday hanging out at Sarah's, followed by an evening photo shoot. Have I mentioned yet that the heat index was over 110 for that day? Even at 8:00 PM, we were dripping with sweat. But it was so worth it.

Later on Saturday, we met Jan and Dustin Fenton for ice cream. The sun had finally gone down and we were able to walk to Dairy Queen without passing out from heat exhaustion. Dustin works and lives on campus, so we walked around campus for a while after we ate. I was overwhelmed with nostalgia. I couldn't believe that Houge Hall was gone and even more, I couldn't believe that it didn't look odd. It just seemed natural. It's actually hard to believe that the building used to fit there. He also showed us the music center . . . I hadn't been in since it had been converted from the FM church. It was good to catch up with them and Jack LOVED hanging out with them. They have a nephew his age, so they were really good with him.

On Sunday, we slept in (again, until 8ish) and skipped church. Yep, you heard me. We skipped. We went to Lotawata Creek for lunch and then checked into our hotel. We had a great view from our room!

After naptime, we went to visit the Cobb family (Aaron, Alisha and Micah . . . Micah is a week older than Jack . . . Alisha and I had the same due date). We ate dinner with them, let the boys play at the park and caught up with them. They lived in Michigan for two years after they graduated from GC, and we miss having them only 1 1/2 hours away!

(this last photo courtesy of Aaron & Alisha)

Stay tuned for part 2 . . . .


Kelli said...

I didn't realize that you went to GC (until Nicole D mentioned it a couple days ago). I graduated from there in 2002. When did you leave GC?

Kyle Luke said...

I graduated in 2000 . . .

Kyle Luke said...

So, from 1996 - 2000 to more specifically answer your question. :)

Kyle Luke said...

And now that I'm thinking more, I was actually at your graduation. My sister (Karina Wietholter) graduated in 2002.